Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices towards a healthy and fulfilling life.
It is more than being free from illness, it is a dynamic process of change and growth. A good or satisfactory condition of existence; a state characterised by health, happiness, and prosperity; welfare.
According to several studies, the most common health problem in the world is depression. This problem is often manifested in the form of insomnia, stress, poor nutrition, physical inactivity, obesity, and heart disease, etc.
Irrespective of a person’s age, size, shape or perceived attractiveness, it is wellness that is the cornerstone of quality of life. It determines how we ultimately look, feel, interact with others and thrive in life and work.
Wellness is the conscious development of the whole self. Embarking on a wellness journey is a process of searching for the appropriate “tools” to make you a healthier and happier human being, plus discovering your own effective methods to use these “tools” for continued growth and development. As there is a great variety on all aspects of life, there are also countless ways to cultivate yourself on an ever-changing path of wellness.
It is important to see that all of the various concepts of wellness should include at least the following precepts:
Holism – your health and well-being are the outcomes of the constant interaction between the several natural dimensions of life and wellness. Each dimension is interrelated with the others. The aim is to be conscious of your self as a whole and complete person, living life as fully as possible.
Balance – while acknowledging the constantly changing nature of your life, you look to balance it by giving significant attention to each of the dimensions. Lack of sufficient attention to any one dimension will result in less-than-optimal development as a person, and may possibly lead to chronic unhappiness.
Self-Responsibility – a well person owns up to his or her responsibility for health and happiness and does not allow others to take control over decisions he/she needs to make for him/herself. Self-responsibility presupposes self-awareness, including the process by which one becomes increasingly more aware of both the causes and consequences of his/her behaviour.
Positive and Proactive – wellness requires primarily positive perspectives and values by which to live. It also requires a strong sense of purpose and conscious, deliberate action. These are our starting assumptions, and they have stood well through time. However, they provide merely a simple framework. What you put inside that framework is totally up to you.
From nutritious eating to adequate exercise, your body thrives on healthy choices. But there are other decisions you can make that can help you feel happy and fulfilled. In honour of Self-Improvement Month, we’ve compiled this handy list of easy ways to improve your health and wellness so that you can feel your best every day. Continue reading to learn more about these self-improvement tips that can give your health and wellness a boost.
1. Take up a new hobby Hobbies can add new challenges and experiences to your life while also relieving stress and allowing you to explore your talents. If there’s a hobby you’ve always been interested in, consider picking up the basics to see how you like it. Whether its golf, pottery, dancing, Italian cooking, or gardening, your new hobby is bound to enhance your well-being.
2. Take a walk in nature Taking regular walks in the peace and serenity of the natural world is one of the most restorative ways to improve your health and wellness. When you surround yourself with lush landscape, fresh air, the chirping and buzzing of insects and birds, and the vastness of the big open sky, you can reduce inflammation, promote thinking and creativity, and restore your mental energy.
3. Meditate The purpose of meditation is to shift your attention from any distracting or looping thoughts to a focus on being in the present moment. If you meditate on a regular basis, you can enjoy a , including improved sleep, reduced blood pressure, less anxiety, stronger immune response, and faster healing.
4. Incorporate “me time” into your schedule Another way to improve your health and wellness is to dedicate time each day to do something for yourself to promote inner growth and renewal. You can take a warm bubble bath, watch your favourite television show, cuddle up with a good book, or do something else that allows you to wind down and give yourself a break from your daily responsibilities.
5. Repeat a positive mantra or affirmation Adopting and repeating a positive mantra or affirmation can give you an instant boost of inspiration. Some examples include, “I handle my life with joy and ease,” Every experience I have is perfect for my growth,” and “I am an open channel of creative ideas.” The purpose of these statements is to help you cultivate a fresh mindset that can help you improve your mental health and wellness.
6. Appreciate the good things in your life Research suggests that people who take the time to appreciate the meaningful things and people in their life are happier than those who do not. Stopping to smell the roses can incite a sense of joy, wonder, and awe that can help you feel great.