The CEO of the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) has resigned after less than two years in the job.
Robert De Luca quit effective immediately to become CEO of community health organisation Zenitas Healthcare.
His replacement will be appointed by the incoming government after the May 18 federal election, and Deputy CEO Vicki Rundle will act as CEO until then.
"It has been a privilege to serve participants and to progress this important scheme of huge national significance," Mr De Lucas said in a statement released by the NDIS. "I have great confidence in the future of the scheme."
Mr De Luca took over in August 2017 from the inaugural CEO David Bowen, who resigned after leading the NDIS since 2012 during a three-year trial and the start of the national roll-out.
Chair of the agency board Helen Nugent at the time said Mr Bowen's resignation had nothing to do with scandals related to the scheme, saying he had a "long-held desire to retire".
Mr De Luca was previously managing director at Bankwest and an executive at the Commonwealth Bank."It is with regret that we have accepted Mr De Luca’s resignation," the NDIA board said in a statement.
Robert De Luca resigned as CEO of the NDIA on Tuesday, effective immediately. "Rob has been an inspiring leader who has attracted and built a highly capable executive team, which has underpinned a tripling of the number of participants as the scheme roll-out."
Announcing the retirement on Tuesday night, Minister for Families and Social Services Paul Fletcher thanked Mr De Luca for his 18 months in the job. CEO's are appointed for up to three years, according to the NDIS. The board will immediately look for a replacement. Zenitas Healthcare, where Mr De Luca will move, has recently been acquired by the private equity firm of Adamantern Capital Management and Liverpool Partners.
Australia's peak disability services body last month warned the NDIS risks collapse, saying providers will be forced to stop offering services if the funding model isn't fixed.